CHELLE-CHELLE.COM          MICHELLE  |  ARTICLES  |  CROCHET  |  JEWELLERY  |  KNITTING  |  HOME

Ruse – A Cloche-Inspired Crochet Hat

Written on January 9, 2010 at 11:15 pm
Filed under: Crafting,Free Pattern with tags: ,

The Cloche originates from the 1920s and was made of felt for a form-fitting bell-shaped hat. While I was looking for a new hat pattern to try out, I couldn’t find one for a cloche that I particularly liked. They were either too bell-shaped or not bell-shaped enough, so I decided to try my hand at making a cloche-inspired hat with just a subtle bell-shape that I wouldn’t mind wearing.

I tried out, for the first time, Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash (50% merino, 50% wool). The yarn felt a little stiff when it was in the ball, but once it was crocheted up into the hat, it felt nice and soft. My only complaint about the yarn is that it splits easily when crocheting – this is a common issue with superwash yarns.

The pattern for this hat has been written up and has three different sizes available (21.25″, 22″ and 24″ for head circumference). The name of the pattern is Ruse, there’s no real story about where the name of the hat came from.

Want to make your own hat? The pattern is free! Click to download a PDF copy of the Ruse hat pattern.

Difficulty Level: Easy

Update August 21 2010: Due to some questions regarding how to proceed with Round 1 of the Ruse hat pattern, I’ve updated the pdf file with the second revision and it is now available for download.

36 Responses to “Ruse – A Cloche-Inspired Crochet Hat”

1. abbie2001 says:

I really like the hat! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

2. Laurelei says:

I too have been looking for a pattern for a nice cloche and haven’t found anything I liked until yours. Thanks so much for posting!

3. Tina Vorlicek says:

I am new to crochetting. On rounds 8-23 the pattern states to “work even in . . . “.
    I don’t understand this. Could you explain further?

Thanks

• Michelle says:

Hi Tina,

“Work even in (stitch name)” means to keep to the same amount of stitches as the previous row (no increases, no decreases), so at the end of the round, you should have the same number of stitches.

Hope that helps!

4. I like your pattern and appreciate the effort it took to develop and write it. Thanks!

I don’t understand how you do 10 hdcs in a ring without a foundation ring. Do you first make a ring with chain stitches? If so, how many did you use for the ring?

At the end of each round, join with sl st before beginning next round.
    Round 1: ch 1, 10 hdc in ring (10)

• Michelle says:

Hi Colleen!

What I did was chain 1 and then chain 2 for the ‘first’ hdc and then do the next hdc into the very first chain that you did.

5. karen wilber says:

I used a Plymouth Yarn blend of 52% silk and 48% merino wool. Total yardage was 170.
    The yarn comes in 99 yard skeins. I love the design: it is a deep hat and the brim can be arranged in different ways. HOWEVER, my head measures 22.5 so I first tried the increase after row 7 adding two extra rows (to come between 22 and 24 inch sizes). It was way too big and I had to go back to row 7 and continue as for the small size of 21.25 inches. The hat fits fine and could even stretch to fit a 24 inch head, as far as I can tell. My gauge was perfect so I am not sure why the discrepancy. I measured my head just above the eyebrows.
    Now that I know the sizing, I will make more of these because I love the fact that it covers the ears and is so versatile. Thanks!

• Michelle says:

Hello Karen,

Thanks for sharing your experience! My sister tried out the pattern in a 50/50 merino and wool blend and she had to go for a smaller size than her head measured out to be – our assumption for that is that the yarn allows for some stretch (if she made it the next size up, it would have been too big and not been ‘snug’ enough to stay on).

I’m glad you like it and happy crocheting :)

6. Dawn says:

Could you email me with your policy on selling items made from your pattern at craft sales and online. Thanks

7. Beverly Weddleton says:

This hat pattern (closhe) is so pretty. It works up fast and is so easy. I have made two so far and they are lovely. I worked the “ribbon” right into the pattern with white fizzy yarn for a little dressier effect on one. Thank you so much for letting us have this pattern.

8. love this pattern have you a pattern for a cloche hat for a child or adult that you would remove from the head, turn it around, and use it as a purse by pulling the ribbon ties tight? would like to make for greatgrandchildren 3 yrs and up but on a limited income cannot afford the 35$ for one??thanx and keep me in mind

9. Angela says:

Hi Michelle,
    This was my first attempt at making a hat of any kind. This was so easy to follow and it turned out perfect. It only took me a few hours. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

10. Joy says:

Hi Michelle,
    I love your hat and thank you for providing the pattern. This will be great for Christmas gifts. Have a great week!
    xoxo
    Joy

11. /Ribbu says:

Thanks so much Michelle for the pattern. I have made 10 hats, each in similar colors for winter to give to mly friends for Christmas presents. They all raved over the hat when they saw it on me, so I thought I would make it for each of them as gifts. Thanks for being so nice and sharing your pattern.

12. Bobbee says:

Thanks!!! Had lost my original pattern for a cloche style hat and was very pleased to find yours!!!

13. Darlene Alexander says:

Would you recommend this pattern for a woman undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer?

• Michelle says:

I think it’d be a good choice, depending on the type of yarn that you use. I like wool-blends myself. The important thing is to choose something that would keep her head warm and not be irritating.

14. Kimberly says:

This hat is so cute! I have not made it yet but I am looking forward to! I am also wondering what your policy is about selling items made from your pattern? Thanks!

• Michelle says:

For this pattern, I’d like it if people told me in advanced where they’re selling it. I’d also like either a link back to my website/pattern page and a line stating that the pattern/design is not by the seller of the finished object.

15. Great pattern, thanks! Found a cloche pattern on youtube that was o.k. but this is just as nice. Easy to follow pattern, looks great and easy to wear. I like Red Heart soft yarn. Worked up nicely. Thanks again for sharing your pattern.

16. LORRAINE says:

instructions for amount of starting chain is not clear

• Michelle says:

Hi Lorraine,

Which part are you having trouble with?

The instructions read:
      Round 1: ch 3 (last 2 chains count as 1 hdc), 9 hdc in first chain (10)

So you chain 3. Of the 3 chains, #2+3 count as 1 hdc. And then you do 9 hdc into the very first chain that you made. You don’t make a chained ring in the beginning, which makes for a much smaller hole.

17. DM says:

Thank you for this ! I like hats , so I will try to make it !

18. Heidi says:

Hi Lorraine,
    In making the ribbon, I would chain 140-190 and then what next? The instructions read: S into back loop of ch across, but I don’t know what that means. I’m so excited to get started on this tonight. Great xmas gift for my sister inlaw.

• Michelle says:

Hi Heidi,

I’m actually the author of the pattern :) The instructions say “Ss into the back loop of the ch across”.

ss = slip stitch
      ch = chain

You want to do slip stitches across the back loops of the chain across to make the ‘ribbon’ thicker.

Hope that helps!

• Heidi says:

Oops, I meant to address it to you, Michelle. :) Thanks so much. Just tried it out and that works perfectly. I made the hat last night and it is SO beautiful! I just love it. Thank you for sharing your pattern.

19. Shirley says:

I want to crochet this pretty little hat but it doesn’t come together for me. I have been crocheting many years but something is missing for me. Is there some way you can clarify more clearly how to get from one row to the next? Thanks for any help you can give.

20. mary french says:

i started making the ruse hat but do not understand the rest of the instructions and need some help to continue;under the directions on round 8-17 it says work even in hdc. What does that mean? help

21. elisa says:

That is very generous of you to post the cloche hat, been searchig the web for a easy pattern, and yours is fabulous…elisa

22. Naomi says:

Michelle, this is the cutest hat ever, many thanks for the free pattern. Even though my head is quite large I ended up using the smallest directions with a size H hook and the fit is perfect. I was shopping the web for a hat in my school colors (University of Michigan maize and blue) and ultimately spent $5 rather than $30 + tax and shipping.

23. Loopy says:

I’m very new at crocheting and I’m doing the Ruse – A Cloche-Inspired Hat. I’ve done great until the part in the pattern where you say for Rounds 8-17 work even in hdc….what does that mean? I don’t understand. Thank you.

Loopy

24. carla says:

Love this pattern, exactly what I have been looking for my only question is about how much yarn / skeins do you suggest using?

25. Denine says:

Michelle,

Thank you so much for this pattern. My mother was just diagnosed with lung cancer and will be starting chemo soon.